Technology in Practice
Delivering effective health care is an information intensive activity. The use of technology to help manage this information can reduce cost, improve productivity, and enhance patient access. This module explores some of the key technology systems you may want to consider for your practice.
After completing this online learning module, you will be able to:
- List the typical technology systems used in medical practice in NL.
- Summarize the rules for the collection, use and disclosure of personal health information as defined by the Personal Health Information Act
- List some of the threats to IT systems and data and discuss potential strategies to help mitigate these risks.
- Discuss the process of implementing the eDOCSNL electronic medical record system in practice.
- Explain the services provided through the HEALTHeNL EHR.
- Explain the process of obtaining access to MEDITECH.
This continuing professional development (CPD) program has been designed to consider
the CanMEDS Family Medicine 2017 Physician Competency Framework, including the roles of:
- Manages career planning, finances, and health human resources in a practice
- 4.1 Establishes and balances appropriate personal and professional goals, and reassesses as needed
- 4.2 Plans and manages a professional practice in an efficient and ethical manner
- 4.3 Implements processes to enhance personal, career, and practice improvement
- Demonstrates a commitment to society by recognizing and responding to societal needs in health care
- 2.1 Demonstrates accountability to patients and society
- 2.2 Demonstrates a commitment to quality care and continuous quality improvement
This Self-Learning program meets the certification criteria of the College of Family Physicians of Canada and has been certified by the Office of Professional and Educational Development, Memorial University for up to 1.5 Mainpro+ credits.
You must be logged in to register for this program